Track mileage automatically
Get started
December 30, 2022 - 2 min read

IRS Mileage Rate 2022

Find the new federal mileage rate 2022 from IRS below and information on how you can use it for your reimbursement. The IRS announces three federal mileage rates each year that are used to calculate mileage deductions for business, medical/moving, and charitable purposes. Looking for the new year's rates? See the 2023 federal mileage rates.

Log your business travel and calculate your reimbursements automatically. The Driversnote mileage tracking app is always up to date on laws and the IRS mileage rates.

How much is the federal mileage rate for 2022?

The IRS has announced that the federal mileage rates for 2022 are changing from July 1st, 2022. The new mileage rates will be:

  • 62.5 cents per mile for business purposes, up 4 cents from the first half of the year
  • 22 cents per mile for medical and moving purposes, up 4 cents from the first half of 2022
  • 14 cents per mile for charity-related driving

The 2022 federal mileage rates applicable from January 1st to June 30th, 2022 are:

  • 58.5 cents per mile driven for business use, up 2.5 cents from the rate last year
  • 18 cents per mile driven for medical, or moving purposes for qualified active-duty members of the Armed Forces, up 2 cents compared to 2021, and
  • 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations; this rate is set by statute and remains unchanged since last year.

You can confirm the new mileage rate for 2022 on the official IRS website.

Need the mileage rate for last year? Read more about the IRS mileage rate for 2021.


Mileage tracking made easy

Trusted by millions of drivers

Automate your logbook Automate your logbook

How to use the 2022 federal mileage rate

The federal mileage rates for 2022 are the ones you need to use for calculating your reimbursement from January 2022 until the end of the year. Note that you should calculate the mileage you've accrued from January 1 - June 30, 2022, with the intial rates set by the IRS. Any mileage you drive in the second part of the year - from July 1st till December 31st, 2022, should be calculated using the newly announced IRS mileage rates for 2022.

It is highly likely that if you are an employer, your employees will expect to get reimbursed based on the new federal reimbursement rate for 2022. Keep in mind that when reimbursing your employees you are not obliged to use the standard rate. In any case, it is useful to know the mileage rate for 2022 because anything you reimburse above it will be taxed.

As self-employed, use the 2022 federal mileage rate to calculate the mileage deduction you can claim on your tax return in 2023 for the 2022 year.

Why the 2022 federal mileage rate went up

The mileage rate for 2022 is calculated by the IRS based on an analysis of the costs of owning and operating a vehicle in the US. There are a few different factors that influence the IRS’ decision on the new mileage rate. Some of these factors include:

  • The price of gas
  • Depreciation rates
  • Insurance rates
  • Vehicle costs

The IRS aims to set a rate that covers the costs you may incur while driving your vehicle for business purposes in 2022.


Standard mileage rates for using a vehicle, van, pickup, or panel truck for business purposes is 58.5 cents per mile beginning Jan 1, 2022. From Jul 1, 2022 the rate increases with 4 cents to 62.5 cents per mile for business purposes.
No, it is important to remember that you can only claim reimbursement with the standard mileage rate for a vehicle you own or lease. If you use a company vehicle, your employer will likely set up a different reimbursement system.

How to automate your mileage logbook

Manually filling out your logbook can get tedious - see how to automatically track trips for your mileage reimbursement or deductions.

This material has been prepared for informational purposes only, and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied upon for, legal, tax or accounting advice. If you have any legal or tax questions regarding this content or related issues, then you should consult with your professional legal, tax or accounting advisor.